Monday, January 17, 2011

Taking care of Mama Monday!!! Please join in!

So...I hope some of you feel compelled to join me for my "Taking Care of Mama" Mondays!  I'm thinking we'll do this for the next 6 weeks...starting today!  The whole idea is to take some time out to do something wonderful that is just for YOU!!!  This doesn't mean that you will neglect your children, or your spouse, or family pets.  I know that you can do it all, (and then some).  The whole point of this is just to put yourself on the map...maybe you already do this well...in which case you can guide some of us along...or maybe, like me, this is a new thing for you...explore it and share your adventures in self care. 

This is Rubys drawing of me running...I know what you're thinking...nice butt!!

One thing I think we so often don't talk about on our blogs is the importance of exercise, (not just for our children but for US!!!)  Trust me...I've thought of every reason in the world to not exercise...little energy, too much to do, guilt of leaving my family to do something for me!  These are also JUST the reasons TO exercise!!!  I've recently started back on the road to feeling good and getting fit, I now make exercise a priority.  After supper, when Keith is home and I have the freedom to leave the house, I put on my coat and boots and head outside for a 30-40 minute walk, run or cross country ski, (depending on the mood and the weather)!  It's just me and the world.   Not only is it a chance for me improve my physical health,  but I return home feeling refreshed and renewed!   
I used to feel so guilty about leaving Keith after he's just come home from work to go out to be by myself...I would stay home and be grumpy and irritable, because I was at home all day being consumed by the busyness of little ones.  How silly?!   Now I declare my evening exercise times a guilt free zone.

To thyself be KIND!

xo maureen

If you plan on playing along, please leave your link below, (or a comment)...it can even be a picture of you doing something truly kind for yourself...and even if you don't link along...I just want to plant the seed of self kindness...to let you know that it's alright, THIS is your permission slip!





20 comments:

  1. I really appreciate the way you have worded all of this, you have very mindfully taken this step and are inspiring me as I am on a similar journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am taking care of Momma on Thursdays this year. I have taken up belly dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. spent the morning in the local library flipping through books, dreaming of far distant exotic places, then went for a swim, while mr messyfish looked after little messyfish. mondays is my day....yipeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would love to put aside just one day for me. As a single parent it is far harder to find that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ate six! slices of the muesli slice I baked at 6am...not all at once (it is very, very good) and went for a swim this evening. Now I am hiding downstairs on the computer checking oput blog post! extreemly indulgent day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou so much for coming up with this idea...we are definatly joining in! I tried to do the mr linky but not sure it worked!thankyou again, sometimes the last person mum thinks of is mum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just an awesome idea and I´ll join for the next six weeks.
    Sounds good right after the holidays.

    Thanks a lot from Germany

    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm playing! In serious need of inspiration, so I'm looking forward to getting toto asleep so I can have some Taking care of Mama time, and check out the other links.

    Thanks for this, Maureen! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to take time to do some yoga and meditation; hopefully more than once a week, but if not, then Mondays will do! Starting today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Besides making kimchi yesterday (which is for me, because #1 I love it and #2 it is so good for me!) I started going to a yoga class this morning. I felt so much better when I walked out of that room! That was refreshing, and now I feel better so I am better able to care for my family! Thanks for starting this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My attempt was pathetic - I made cookies. It's hard to do something just for me with sick kiddos. :/

    http://wildfaeriecaps.blogspot.com/2011/01/longies.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm striding on in. Love this idea. I'm looking forward to gaining inspiration from all the others out there, over the weeks. Thanks Maureen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How inspiring you are, thanks! Today I walked to and from work...felt wonderful! Then I had a few minutes and I sat in silence:) how nice to hear quite....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's to "Taking Care of Mamas" everywhere...

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does staying up way too late knitting and reading blogs count? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice and interesting blog. I like it and so much thanks for sharing this nice post with us and keep posting.
    potted plants

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been a lurker on your blog for some time now, you have an amazing whimsical imagination. I recently decided to take on a life style change with getting fit and healthy. Im glad to see you are doing the same thing. Thanks for the motivation and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it funny how we feel guilty about wanting time to ourselves. I want to get back into walking everyday but either have to take my toddler or wait until it starts staying lighter. It's still pretty dark when dh leaves for work and when he gets home so no time to walk when he's here.

    I love reading but have found it very hard to find time with a little one, I'm making time for me to read. I signed up for several book challenges for the year to help me make reading a focus.

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails