Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pressed Flower Ornaments


Pressed Flower Ornaments



This past summer I began a love affair with pressing flowers. I wasn't sure what I would do with them all, I just knew that come winter they would bring me joy to craft with. Now that we are in the midst of a real deep freeze, it was such a treat to peek into the books where they lay waiting and gently reveal the delicate little flowers I had collected. Perfect for creating these pressed flower ornaments!
If you have some kicking around and want to create some too, here's how it goes...

You will need:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup corn starch
3/4 cup of warm water
rolling pin
round cookie cutter or cup for cutting your clay circles
pressed flowers
mod podge
paint brush
string
To begin:
Follow this tutorial to make the white clay. 
Cut out your clay with a cup or a round cookie cutter.

Poke a hole where your string can go through. 


 Bake at 100 degrees C for an hour. 


Choose your flower layouts.


Add a layer of mod podge to the front of your ornament and place your flower(s) on top.


Gently paint a layer of mod podge over top of the flower and ornament. 


Be sure to make sure your holes don't get clogged with mod podge and if they do poke it out with a needle.



String your ornament...


hang on your tree...


and sit back with something to sip, while you admire the little faces of summer looking back at you!


 Wishing all a peace & joy filled time of preparation for Christmas.
With love
Shanti

17 comments:

  1. those are fantastic! just beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea, I was wondering if the clay could be painted and would you do it before or after baking, thanks for sharing.
    smjohns63 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you could after baking. You could also buy that real fine glitter and put it over the modge podge afrer painting. Then flower then modge again.i used to own a ceramic shop
      Not the same clay but it helps with the painting steps..have fun !

      Delete
    2. Sure you could after baking. You could also buy that real fine glitter and put it over the modge podge afrer painting. Then flower then modge again.i used to own a ceramic shop
      Not the same clay but it helps with the painting steps..have fun !

      Delete
  3. Really gorgeous!! Wish I had some flowers pressed now! But will come up with some variation...thinking feathers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! And I gotta say, so classic YOU. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you could make them, bake them, and then paint on them. These are wonderful, and I'm going to check the local crafts stores to see if I can find some ready-to-use pressed flowers to try to make some, since I don't have a flower press just yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely bake first then paint…happy crafting everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful and beautiful idea! Thank you for sharing! Will definitely be making these this summer. One question, the lowest temp my oven will go is 170, do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 170 should be fine. Just keep an eye on them. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
    2. 100 degrees C is approx = 212 degrees F (Is your 170 in F degrees?) My oven won't preheat below 170F either. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  9. These are absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad that I found your post while our garden is in full bloom. We'll be heading out this very day to collect some bright things to press. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have these in my dehydrator right now. Do they get hard or just dry?

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails