Friday, February 7, 2014

Feeding Our Feathered Friends: Rainbow Ice Bird Feeders


The creation of these ice bird feeders was an evolution of sorts with lots of trial and error. We were happy with the outcome though and our feathered friends seem to be too! 
It has been such a pleasure on these cold white days to watch the bluejays and chickadees frolicking and feasting in our backyard.
These were pretty simple to make and a joy to have mother nature's frosty co-operation in the creation of them!

To make you will need

helium quality balloons
6 round foil cake tins
food coloring 
water
bowls
full tins of beans (for weight)
time ;)

To begin:

Take the food coloring and drop some drops (what ever color you want you ice orb to be) into your balloon. 


Next fill your balloon with water, place it in a bowl (to keep its rounded shape) and put them outside into the frigid air to freeze! If it is as cold where you are as where we are (-30!!) it should freeze full over night. 


You can then peel off your balloon and "unveil " your lovely ice orbs!


I wasn't sure what to do with them at this point...


but I was smitten and determined to give them a purpose!


So, here's what came of that...
project bird feeder!

For this part fill your cake tins with water and food coloring.
Place a bowl inside the center of the tin and weigh it down with a full food tin.
Set outside to freeze.


Once the water is fully frozen, remove your food tins and fill the bowls with hot water. 
Allow the bowls to warm up until they can slip out of the ice.


Slide your ice disks out of the cake tins.


Pour cold water over your ice orb and gently place your ice disk on top. The middle of the disk will be very thin and break up a bit in the very center, this is fine. Simply add a bit more cold water and snow into the center and press down to secure the orb and disk together.
Allow it to freeze for a couple of hours.


Once it is frozen...


add your birdseed!


Now you are ready for the best part of all ~ the bird watching!

The Bluejay 
By Emily Dickinson

No brigadier throughout the year
So civic as the jay.
A neighbor and a warrior too,
With shrill felicity



Pursuing winds that censure us
A February day,
The brother of the universe
Was never blown away.


The snow and he are intimate;
I 've often seen them play
When heaven looked upon us all
With such severity,


I felt apology were due
To an insulted sky,
Whose pompous frown was nutriment
To their temerity.


The pillow of this daring head
Is pungent evergreens;
His larder — terse and militant —
Unknown, refreshing things;



His character a tonic,
His future a dispute;
Unfair an immortality
That leaves this neighbor out.


For the love of our feathered friends,

Shanti

31 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'm now wishing for snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soo love this thanks for.sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, although I couldn't do something like this as I can't freeze anything that big..boy howdy what a wonderful idea for those in the cold weather! I am surprised the birds will sit on it! I bet your yard is amazing with these feeders. I am in the high desert of southern california and am working to get some things done so when it warms up through spring and summer I can have some nice things in my yard. I currently have hummingbirds in great numbers..okay 10 usually as of last year! And have several feeders to have out and a wild bird feeder..food and water. I am planning on putting in some lavender bushes and some other flowers.. i have sand, not dirt so I have to be able to pot things! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited by your blog of these feeders.. I am going to do a post on my blog featuring them..linked to you. I have many followers that are in the cold areas and I KNOW they will be interested in these feeders!!!
    Cheri, http://www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rainbows so I am biased, but this is awesome! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! So happy and colorful in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic idea! And your photos are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are so gorgeous! I almost wish I lived in freezing cold weather to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll admit I thought you were nuts when I saw these in progress on your porch. But your vision, as always, proved true and beautiful!! I love these, and the photography is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I wonder what the birds think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are just brilliant, in more ways than one! Thanks again, for another delightful creation, and an opportunity to share your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to add colour to the winter garden, and feed the birds at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post really makes me wish I lived somewhere way further north than simply the northern bit of Florida... What an amazing idea these are, great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! I love it! Thanks a bunch for linking up to our link party! Smiles, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful way to feed the birds! Your rainbow-colored bird feeders are a joy to behold. With all of the snow and cold in my neck of the woods, I can't wait to try this too! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at the Happy, Healthy, Green and Natural Party hop! All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic project, and thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday! hope you'll join us again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are wonderful, unfortunately since I live in Florida I will never be able to make them. I stopped by from the Made by You Monday linky.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea... and you got some fab pics! Thanks for linking to Share it Sunday!! I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah! This might be one of the best twists on this ice-balloon-thing I've seen around. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are really cool! I love the bright colors!

    Renae
    hillmade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are so stinkin cute!! I wish it stayed cold enough down here to do something like that. I'd love it, if you get a chance, to post this on my link up: http://timeforseason.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-favorite-things-saturdays-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness! I just love this, I wish it were cold enough to do this with my little one. I really love the pics with the blue jays on the orange feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really awesome ! I am going to try this...Thanks so much !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty but remember that food coloring is is bad for birds. Remove them before they melt or just make them without it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMGoodness!! These are so awesome!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - I featured you yesterday on my blog! And pinned your post - great job!
    --Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an amazing idea!! We will definitely have to give this a try! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are so pretty and such a great way to add color. The birds actually look like they appreciate the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, those look so awesome! Not something we can do here, since even in winter they would just melt, but a gorgeous idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG, running out right now to get what I need, to make these, have lived all over the country and now that i can make these i am living in Florida (go figure), but I see tons of great pictures coming from this project. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails