Thursday, February 3, 2011

Potato Print Valentines

I have been pondering an easy, fun way to create our love letter valentines to pass out...
Heart potato prints occurred to me ~ so we thought we would give it a go!

Here's how it goes

To begin
Slice your potato in half.
Press a strong cookie cutter in the potato and using a knife, cut in from the side up to the cookie cutter that is still in the potato ~ until the excess potato falls away and you are left with your shape.  (Thanks helpful reader for this tip!)

You can then carve out a handle on the backside of your potato or push a craft stick into the back ~ a better grip for easier stamping.

Paint your stamp (painting seems to work much better than dipping)...

Now for the fun part ~ time to get stamp happy!

We enjoyed using metallic paints

As well we painted our stamps with glue, stamped them onto our cards and shook on glitter. 


We spent our afternoon in a world of glitter and paint ~ a warm way to share in a winters day, while a blizzard swirled around the home.

The girls shared the task of filling in our love letters.
Teamwork all the way! (including the messy clean up ; )

Then of course we had to join that wonderful white world and taste the blizzard first hand!

Heres to glitter and rosy cheeks!

~ Shanti ~


  1. These are just lovely Shanti!

  2. They look great! And it looks like the activity was enjoyed by all.

    Have a lovely weekend.


  3. A couple quick things to make your prep easier as well...
    Press a strong cookie cutter into the potato and using a knife, cut in from the side up to the cookie cutter that is still in the potato. That makes it a bit easier than trying to free hand it. The other tip is to push a craft stick into the back of the potato so you can have a handle. Picking up a sticky potato can cause it to slide around but the handle makes it more manageable. Thanks for the reminder. It will be a great Arts and crafts project for Fun Friday.

  4. So sweet. LOVE that photo of the cards all propped up on the table and the girls absorbed in their work. Beautiful.

  5. I plan to do this with my class next week...and Jude's cards for his classmates will also be handmade...hooray for the humble potato!

  6. I'd love to have the link for your store...I can't seem to find it!

  7. This brought back memories of carving potato stamps when my boys were little.It's a great idea for when we have our grandsons for the night Valentines weekend...thanks for sharing,and I love the red glitter!

  8. gave you a blog award today -- enjoy !

  9. Oh, they are wonderful! I signed up for a Valentines exchange today, and I needed a little idea to get me started. The glitter ones are just my cup of tea!

  10. These are so fun! I did them with the middle schoolers at the school I work at. They're response was, "Potato stamps? Woah man! That's ghetto!" :P

  11. So pretty and lots of fun too!! Kerri

  12. Your cards are very sweet. I just love that last photo though. Gorgeous!

  13. Hey! Just posted your project on Craft Gossip (Lesson Plans page)...make sure you pick up a 'Featured On' button for your blog! Great craft! Thanks! Found your project over at The Magic Onions.

  14. I'm a new follower. I love your Potato Print Valentines. I featured this article in a blog post here:
    Freebies 4 Moms


We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo



Related Posts with Thumbnails