Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer Solstice Sun Child!!

Happy Summer Solstice!!!!
Today being the first day of summer, I thought we'd share a
sweet little SUN child craft!!!


You will need:
wool felt (in yellow and orange)
one wooden bead
paint & brush
roving (for hair and stuffing)
embroidery floss and needle (in contrasting colour)
beads or wool balls


I used a 250ml mason jar as my circle template...tracing around the lid cut one circle out of your yellow felt, and then cut another "sun" shape out of your orange felt.



You will need to cut a small circle where your wooden bead/head will go...start out small, you can always cut it a bit bigger if need be.



Fit in your wooden bead (head), where you want it to go...add some roving hair if you wish and glue gun into place.


Now sew your yellow circle onto your sun shape...before you close it off, stuff with some wool roving, just to give it some "depth".  I'm a big fan of the blanket stitch...makes it look nice and tidy!


Now add some embroidery floss to hang it with...and some glass or wool beads...



Lastly, if you desire you can paint on some eyes and a sweet little mouth...ready to gobble up some summertime fun!!

Now hang it somewhere to bring the sunshine in!!!
Happy Summertime!!!

xoxo maureen

PS...Don't forget to enter our GIVEAWAY to win a copy of the book
"LOVE is the Color of a Rainbow".
Enter by leaving a comment under the post...and look for ways to get extra entries.
The giveaway closes on Saturday at midnight!
(and stay tuned for another fabulous literary giveaway this weekend)!


16 comments:

  1. I love this idea! So adorable. I posted the link on my Facebook Page! Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I should make one for Aria's room! Our apartment is so dark, perhaps I could entice the sunshine in with a little sun child. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet! do you use embroidery floss for the stitching together as well? do you have a favorite kind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't planned anything for solstice today (bad mama!) I think I should get this ready for the kids to do when they get home!
    Enjoy the start of this lovely season!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. nunu...I do use embroidery floss for sewing it all together...I just pick up whatever I can find at our local store...then I divide the 6 strands into 2 strands and sew with that, (it's a bit thinner and I find that less threads look nicer). Happy crafting! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! We are celebrating winter solstice, so I have a little extra time to make this lovely sun! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO SWEET! We did a few little crafts and rituals today, but I think Summer Solstice will have to be extended into tomorrow for this craft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well isn't this just oh too cute :) LOVE LOVE LOVE this little guy. Happy Summer Solstice. With 90 plus degree weather here in Michigan, there is no doubt it is summer! I'll be linking to your Summer Solstice Sun Child on Facebook. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is seriously cute! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for clarifying on the string because i've tried to use floss before without separating strands and found it too thick. why couldn't i think of separating strands myself?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect for the season! Will be trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! One of my projects, for this week, is here: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/06/crafting-along-with-needle-and-thread_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute and cherry. Happy first day of summer to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so much I linked to it on my blog on sun finger puppets for solsitce... if this is not ok, please let me know and I will remove
    http://crackofdawncrafts.blogspot.com/2014/06/summer-is-here-solstice-sun-puppets.html

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails