Monday, May 3, 2010

Infamous Killaloe Chew Chews



Here is the basic recipe ~

  • 4 cups brown rice crisp cereal  (Barbara's organic work well)
  • 1 cup peanut butter or almond butter
  • 1 cup brown rice syrup
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
here are my enriching add ins but you can be as creative as you choose ~ dried fruit, drizzling chocolate over the bars, other chopped or ground nuts...
  • a cup of hempnut, a sprinkling of chocolate chips (sometimes), half a cup of almond meal, 1/4 cup of ground flax and as much rice syrup and peanut butter to make it all stick together nicely. This is a HUGE hit in our home. These bars are packed with protein, easy to travel with, and delicious!
Whisk the peanut butter and rice syrup in a sauce pan on low heat. In a large bowl, mix rice crisps and almonds (and whatever other goodies you choose to add in). Coat mixture with rice syrup and peanut butter mixture.  press the  mixture into the pan.  cut into squares and await the devouring...

in Killaloe style



  1. Thanks for the recipe!!! I love these!!

  2. I can't wait to try this recipe. This would be the perfect snack bar to take when working in the garden!

  3. beat me to it...this was my planned recipe for next week! I'll post my version which I've tweaked to work with what I normally have on hand. Yours look yummy!!

  4. Thanks for sharing this scrumptious sounding recipe. Yum, yum! I wonder if I have the ingredients in my pantry...if so I'll be making them soon.

  5. These bars are the BEST!!! They are a staple item in our community!!!
    Happy Snacking!


We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo



Related Posts with Thumbnails