Friday, December 17, 2010

Let There Be Light ~ Illuminated Ice Lanterns

With winter solstice approaching I wanted to share this simple idea for an ice lantern. A wonderful way to beckon back the light....



Gathering all the pieces... Greens, berries, pine cones...
Two containers ~ one bigger than the other
Rocks


To create ~ place your smaller container into the bigger one. Add your cutting from nature into the outer circle. Place rocks into the inner container. Fill outer circle with water. Place outside to freeze.


Once frozen, pour hot water into inner circle and let sit until the inner container slides out. Then pour water on outside container until your lantern slides out.



* Ready to shine so bright on a cold winters night *


Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.--Buddha




These lanterns shall be aglow on Solstice night, as many wonderful women walk the illuminated path up to my home to share in the longest night of the year together.  In this big beautiful bloggy world I shall envision each of you wonderful women present in the spirit of light.



Twig and Toadstool shall be signing off until later in the new year.
Maureen and I want to wish each and everyone of you a * Peace~filled * Joy~filled * Light~filled * Solstice and holiday season!

 Light & Love 



19 comments:

  1. These are absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how beautiful... ice lanterns light our way at solstice almost every year .... much light and peace to you both this holiday season .....
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. truly gorgeous. thanks for the inspiration. happy solstice and many blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely lantern. Beautiful enough to make me wish I lived somewhere icy cold enough to actually make one. Here in Florida, if I attempted it, it would melt faster than Frosty. At least I get to enjoy it on your blog.

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful lanterns, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are lovely, transmitting their beautiful light to warm all those wonderful souls. I am sure all you ladies had a wonderful evening, thank you for sharing your magical light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discover your blog and he is so creative...
    I wish you a happy and magic christmas...
    Bises, Flo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Nataša

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this great idea! I made them, here: http://creatingafamilyhome.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-look-for-new-season.html

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, freakn' awesome mama!!! Thanx for this idea!!!!!!!!!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on the temperatures and gathering in preparation for this lovely craft, I can wait to have my own lantern all lit up! Yours is really beautiful : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love making ice containers, and this was a good reminder to gather some materials, as this weekend is supposed to be perfectly frigid. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the idea! I made one! :-)
    See!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful. Thank you. I love being able to scroll back through your archives for our reverse season inspiration! We are about to celebrate Winter Solstice as you all reach the peak of Summer! Happy Solstice and thank you for leaving this wonderful treasure trove of archives available on your blog. I refer here often :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would love to make them but I'm wondering when you do you put the light in them

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just discovered this project and also wonder how to put the light in them.

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails