Wednesday, April 20, 2011

An Earth Day Craft!

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, 
we borrow it from our children.  
~Native American Proverb~

In honor of Earth Day I wanted to share
our earth lovers craft...

A globe luminary 


An opportunity to "light up the world"
taking a moment to offer a blessing of gratitude 
for our great mother earth 
and the many gifts she bestows upon us all.


To create you will need
green & blue tissue paper
mod podge
glass bowl
paint brush


To begin rip your blue tissue paper into smallish pieces.
Paint mod podge onto your glass.
Add pieces of tissue paper on top
Paint on more mod podge over your tissue paper (love that stuff!)


Once your first layer has covered your whole bowl and dried...



add another layer.



Draw out your pieces of land onto your green tissue paper.
 I used this basic outline.
Mod podge it onto your globe.
Let it dry 
and ignite your flame!

                                                       Earth teach me stillness
                                                        as the grasses are stilled with light.
                                                          Earth teach me suffering
                                                          as old stones suffer with memory.
                                                          Earth teach me humility
                                                           as blossoms are humble with beginning.
                                                       Earth Teach me caring
                                                 as the mother who secures her young.
                                                        Earth teach me courage
                                                       as the tree which stands alone.
                                                       Earth teach me limitation
                                                           as the ant which crawls on the ground.
                                                    Earth teach me freedom
                                                   as the eagle which soars in the sky.
                                                          Earth teach me resignation
                                                            as the leaves which die in the fall.
                                                         Earth teach me regeneration
                                                         as the seed which rises in the spring.
                                                             Earth teach me to forget myself
                                                              as melted snow forgets its life.
                                                                         Earth teach me to remember kindness
                                                                     as dry fields weep in the rain.

              

Take nothing but pictures.
Leave nothing but footprints.
Kill nothing but time.
~Motto of the Baltimore Grotto





And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Khalil Gibran




Here's to celebrating our earth
and all the practical ways we can help preserve her gifts.

What ways do you teach and celebrate Earth
Day with the children in your life? 



With Love 
~ Shanti~

P.S. in honor of digital detox week (taking place right now all over the globe!) and Easter we shall be signing off for a couple of weeks.
See you again soon!
xo
Shanti & Maureen






23 comments:

  1. i love it!! what a novel take on a craft we already love. must find glass bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I am going to make on tonight!
    Happy Mother Earth day Twig and Toadstool :)
    and I am so stealing one of the quotes you shared for my facebook status tomorrow.
    Thanks for all you two share and inspire with your blog.

    Oona Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful globe. Earth Day is a lovely celebration with children. I've written today about children's play and ideas to 'go green', reduce, reuse and recycle their toys and craft materials. Over here if you'd like to see http://nurturestore.co.uk/how-to-celebrate-earth-day I hope you enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful idea! Luminaries are so full of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the words you have posted...thank you for reminding me of all we have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this...I will be doing this with my little boy tomorrow since he is off school. I love giving him an awareness of responsibility to the earth we live on...and of course just spending time with him too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful luminaria, Shanti! And I want to feel the cold mud with my toes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so super cute - it's one of my favorite votives ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cool and creative! thanks for sharing!

    I hope you can also check out our site at
    http://www.aheadinteractivetutorial.com. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful idea! Definitely saving it for future use!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Earth candle!

    jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this such a great article and the tips are very comprehensive. For sure many entrepreneurs with small and big businesses are going to benefit from this. Keep it up!
    Lighting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this such a great article and the tips are very comprehensive. For sure many entrepreneurs with small and big businesses are going to benefit from this. Keep it up!

    outdoor lighting

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job. very creative......Visit for more information on Childrens lighting

    ReplyDelete
  15. loved the idea and featured it on my blog, www.catholicre.blogspot.com as a great commission craft

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I find the basic outline of continent shapes that you used for this? I'd love to make it, but I can't get that link to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Earth day is a day where we pay respect to nature. It's not just about recycling and respecting the earth by not littering. It's about being grateful for what we have from the earth. Which is clean water and good quality food.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your globe luminary! I'm adding your idea to my earth day round up! My post will be going up shortly! Linking the idea back to your blog .. thanks for sharing!!
    http://thingamajigetc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Making this today. In honor of Earth Week study.

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails