Monday, April 26, 2010

In the garden...


Oh...for the LOVE of digging!!!

The whole day was spent blissfully in the garden.  I love this time of year...usually my ambitious nature grabs ahold and I have plans for a garden that is bigger, better, and more bountiful than the garden of the year past.
I garden with passion, with wild ambition and most importantly, I garden with hope!!   There is no greater pleasure than putting in a little seed and "hoping" that it will grow.  Days pass, and I go up to my garden day after day, just waiting, aching for those first little green heads to poke their way through the ground.  It is a miracle in action, and while I know the science behind the process of seeds turning into plants, it's still pretty mind blowing.


Matilda watching the neighbours tractor in the field

We have almost all of our cold weather crops in...spinach, carrots, beets, onions, parsnips, peas, and tomorrow will come the rutabagas, more onions, and some flowers!!   It's lovely to include children in the garden...while I was raking and digging the beds, Matilda was beside me with a little garden spade and bucket, digging and dumping and then coming in for a kiss or hug!  Ruby was busy climbing trees and talking it up with the farmer and his dog, "Blackie",who was fixing up the fence posts the keep his cows in the pasture next door to us.  On a day like today I think my life just may be enchanted!! 

The flowers forming on our lilacs...

In honour of planting, flowers and gardening...here is a little poem to share
(I am a huge fan of classic poetry, and love to share it with my kids)!

A Garden
A sensitive plant in a garden grew,
And the young winds fed it with silver dew,
And it opened its fan-like leaves to the light,
And closed them beneath the kisses of night.

And the Spring arose on the garden fair,
And the Spirit of Love fell everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
Rose from the dreams of its wintry nest.
-Percy Bysshe Shelley

In gardening bliss
Maureen

8 comments:

  1. I love getting out in the garden, love your little gnomes on your banner heading,cheers from New Zealand Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm puttering away in a small way to reclaim what went awry last summer...baby steps towards a big garden again someday! Love the first pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith thought I was a mad woman when I asked him to take a picture of my shoe on the shovel digging!!! (however, it does make for a lovely picture:-)
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HSBC is a bank. It was founded in 1865. The slogan of HSBC is "Worlds local bank". HSBC full form CTC is the total expenditures of the company that the company does on its employee. CTC full form

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails