Thursday, September 9, 2010

Autumn Garland!


Oh I LOVE Autumn!  If I have one favourite season, this is it!  It is this time of year that I count my blessings to live in a 4 season part of the world.  People actually travel here to see the fall colours...when they're at their peak it's just magical!
Here's a easy little sewing project to bring that Autumn colour in.


You will need:
felt in autumn colours...and I'm going to suggest because of the amount of felt that you will need, you don't have to have wool felt...I used cheap eco-spun felt for this one.
Wide bias tape...in whatever colour you choose, (I got red)...it's about 10 feet or so long.
thread for your sewing machine
scissors


Alrighty...start by drawing or printing out some leaf templates.  I got mine HERE.
Trace them onto your felt...you will need roughly 50 leaves...more if you want it longer.  Now get cutting...tedious I know, but it will be worth it!



Get your sewing machine primed with your thread and get to work.  I used a zig zag stitch to do mine, but really do whatever you like.  If you can see in the picture I just opened up the seam of the bias tape...slipped in the leaf...and stitch!  Keep doing that.  If you insist upon it, you *can* use pins...I prefer to keep my sewing simple!


Now hang and admire!  You are an amazing mama...make yourself a cup of apple cider,  go outside and insist that you play the role of sleeping beauty with the kids, after all, you work hard and deserve a "nap"!  Enjoy and happy Autumn!

xo maureen

15 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Maureen! Thank you:)
    xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! We're so going to make one but will have to alter it to exclude any sewing : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to do this!
    I am getting my Autumn stuff ready now, my son loves dressing up as "King Autumn" in his autumn silk...its so great. My camera is being repaired so I didn't have any shots. Do you know any good books with Steiner Autumn stories to act out? Any that involve that Michaelmas dragon?
    D xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so cute. I want to make two today...one for home and one for my classroom! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Garlands are such happy things. Autumn is my favourite season too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Off to get some bias tape this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great, easy idea. I would have done that the hard way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great autumn decoration - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely garland... and so easy! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so nice! And it looks so sturdy, you will be able to use it every year. No flimsy, cheapo garlands for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. an autumn lover here too, adore this project x

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing like the crisp air at the start of fall. Your tutorial has me dreaming about it! I've included a link to your tutorial on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous. You must smile everytime you walk into this room.

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails