Monday, September 13, 2010

Felt Pumpkin Tutorial!!


Here's another quick and easy craft to bring Autumn "in"!

You will need:
Wool felt in orange and green
(I suggest using wool felt because it outlasts cheap felt, is heavier and just lovely to work with)!
stuffing
small twigs
embroidery floss in orange
glue gun and glue sticks

To start trace some circles onto your orange felt...I used a small bowl, a cup and a lotion container, so I'd have 3 different sizes.



Get a very long strand of embroidery floss...now start doing a running stitch all the way around the outside edge of your circle...


Pull the thread tight...


and stuff...stuff until you can stuff no more!


Now stitch it shut, (not all the way, but as tightly as you can...like so)


Take your needle and put it through the "top" part of your pumpkin, now bring it out in the bottom, near the middle...this will create the look of "sections" on your pumpkin...tie off your thread.


Cut out some leaves out of your green felt...and cut some short lengths of your twig.


Now fire up the glue gun and glue the twig in place...put some glue all over the bottom of the twig and stuff it into the "top" of the pumpkin as far as it will go.


Glue on your leaves...press them down around the exposed top of your pumpkin...and there you have it!


These are super quick to whip up and just look SO darn cute on the nature table!
I think I'm going to have to make a little pumpkin gnome to tend our ever growing patch!

xo maureen

15 comments:

  1. These are really cute. I just picked up an orange wool sweater tonite! A sign I think....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet indeedy...hoping to get one of my own on Thursday (big loud hint)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding to Homestead Girl's "big loud hint", I've got some little Fall Fellas emerging at the farm here, whom I am confident would enjoy a pumpkin or two! See you soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cutie, cutie. I can't find orange felt or wool roving in my regular sources. Only tangerine..... makes for a light coloured fall table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet pumpkin! Thank you for your tutorial!
    xo
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got some spare orange felt which would be perfect for this. Pumpkins would look great on my nature table. I love the change of the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So simple - wonderful! I love something I can do in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful, I love the ease and simplicity of this project, and the fact that it is something that can be done so nicely with older children. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute. the kids would have fun making these. I like how you used real twigs for the stem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, thank you for the fun tutorial! I'm thinking some white ghostie and blue hubbard pumpkins to go with the orange would be scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial! thanks for sharing. You are right they are super cute and quick/easy to make. My favorite part is the natural stem. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big thank you for your inspirations, will do this with my pre-school group in waldorf kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails