Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Here Comes the Sun Week!! Let's Make a Sunny Window Star!!


I thought these lovely window stars would be a great addition to our Solstice celebration...a great way to "bring the sun in"!

I see these stars all over people's blogs, but often they don't include tutorials, so I wanted to put together a tutorial so you don't just have to drool over my window star/sun...you can make one of your very own!   If you don't understand the written instructions, just look at the photos...I tried to photograph every step for you.

Start by gathering together some sunny coloured kite/tissue paper...I used bright yellow, light orange and dark orange. Cut into 4x3 inch rectangles. You will need 8 yellow and 4 in light orange, 4 in dark orange.  Make sure you make your rectangles super straight!

 

First take one of the rectangles and fold it in half...


Now unfold it...

Now take the corners and fold them until they meet the line from the previous fold...do this with all four corners.


Take one end and fold them again, until they meet the centre line of that initial fold...like so.  Repeat this with all 16 of your little rectangles, (I call this mamma meditation time...ohmmmmmmmmmmmm)


Start by assembling your yellow pieces...I use a clear glue stick for this part...just use a little bit of glue on the piece you are sticking the other piece to...press them down as you go...



Your piece should look like this...


Now...take your orange pieces and fit them in on the diagonal, in between the yellow rays...
remember, if you are using 2 shades of orange, put in one ray and then leave a space for the other colour...do this colour in between every other ray, (does that make sense?), if it doesn't make sense, refer to the picture below this one...


After you do that with all four, fit in the other orange pieces in between...


It will look like this when you're finished...


To hang them, I put some small dabs of glue on the back, (using the glue stick), and "stick" it to the window...I was wondering if they could be laminated, as a way of preserving them...they are just SO beautiful!!!  Here is the finished sun/star!!!!


I LOVE these stars...I've been sitting here admiring them all the day long, and because they are a bit time consuming, I just feel the love that I put into them, and I can't help but smile!!  You could also make these with other colours...don't limit yourself...heck make these for every occasion!!  I wanted to do these for Solstice, hence the sunny colours!! 
Stay sunny and bright!
xo maureen

20 comments:

  1. Wow - thanks so much for the tutorial. My kids can make these but I never learned how so I will definitely try it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh... lovely, lovely... I've got to track down some kite paper and get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I made a rainbow one for V's Birthday...it's so pretty on the potting shed door. Childhood Magic has a good tutorial too, if you're interested...although looks like you already know how!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding it to our crafty to-do list. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fascinating blog! i love your creative ideas... i will visit again! and thanks for stopping by my place yesterday... e.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful. i am such a sucker for window stars--- a great solstice project! i think we'll make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen these little eye candies around several blogs and I LOVE them. This post really made me realize just how versatile they are. We have not tried any yet, but I decided yesterday it is time to order some kite paper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right now it's raining and your sunshine just brightened my mood. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear to you, these sunny window stars really are EASY to make. The only tedious part is the folding, but like I said, mama meditation time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!

    Wanted to let you know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog, PaperFriendly.

    Nancy Ward
    PaperFriendly
    http://www.nancywardcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love making window stars too. We use them to decorate for each season and holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful. I just finished one with my Granddaughter and put it in her window facing east, next to her bed. It will shine on it thru her window each morning. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial for kids. i like it and will make it with my sun. thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just checked out the book Window Stars this week, love your tutorial, I will have to pull out my kite paper and get to work. I plan on making a few for my patio door.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This would be great for my windows in my home. I have a problem where birds sometimes hit the window because they can't see it. If I put these pretty homemade stars on the window. It should keep them from hitting the window.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if you could use modge podge on them to preserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, thank you for sharing. I have linked to your tutorial.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very beautifull. Maybe a white blue at the bottom to :)

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails