Monday, June 14, 2010

Here Comes the Sun Week!!! Let's Weave a Giant Sun!!!


I've been wanting to do a weaving project with Ruby for awhile now...weaving a giant sun seemed like something that would totally appeal to her seven yr old sensibilities, and would appeal to this sun lovin' mamma as well!


We started by collecting some sticks...4 of them cut into 4 foot lengths, laid into a star shape and then bound by twine, (actually, when I say "we" I mean, papa Toadstool did the work and I played my role as director and professional baby wrangler). 


Then we gathered up all the yellow material, roving, and yarn in the house.  We cut our material into 2-3 inch strips, (then we attached the strips to make huge pieces by tying them together...you could also sew them together, but we like things easy here at the Toadstool)!


We began ours by weaving in the roving first...I tied it to the first branch and then just went over and under the branches...pulling it tight as you go through each one.  After the roving we started on the material.  Doing it like a God'e Eye, (which is essentially what this is)...going under and over the first branch and then over and under on the next branch.  Again...pull your material tight when you weave through each branch!


We weaved until Ruby got sick of it, at which point we declared it was DONE!!  Then this massive art piece went outside and into a tree...our own giant sun/art piece we can enjoy every day!  I like that it will get weathered over the season and change...maybe birds will get bits of the yellow roving to use for their nests!


This was a super fun project that we all enjoyed doing together...and a great BIG way to welcome the sun to your own backyard!!

Here's Ruby with the finished "sun"...you can get an idea of how big it is!!

Hope your day is sunny and bright!

Maureen xo

23 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! We may have to do one too...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great way to use my yellow scraps up! a perfect solstice blessing - i LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your weaving project! Such fun. Thank you for inspiring me. I love the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohhh I love this!! It is coming up Winter Solstice here, but hey, a sun is welcome any time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I was surprised to see how huge this was!! Love the yellows...esp. as the sun is shining in my window as I type this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it! I too was surprised by it's size...which made me love it even more. It's so, well...sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Looks like an Ojo de Dios. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great idea! We will be on the lookout for twigs this week....the fibre is another story (ie, definately already around).
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how this turned out! I'm going to have to bank this idea for when my little one gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG seriously cool idea!!!! You are very creative girl!!!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is the best sun I have seen...you have no idea how much I'm loving this! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS is awesome! such a cool idea, and the kids would have half the fun just finding the sticks. The finished product is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really fantastic! A great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea - big art is always very popular in our house too. And with the lack of sunshine we have here in the past two months we could really do with one of those in our garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I posted this darling project on Craft Gossip Felting, take a look: http://felting.craftgossip.com/2010/07/30/lets-weave-a-giant-sun-tutorial/

    Linda Lanese

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thia would b a fabulous project for a cub scout camp day. Each group adds to it throughoput the day and then the finished sun could be displayed for the evening and the next day. I think it would also add to its charm to have each cubscout write his name on one of his strips so that he becomes a forever part of the sun made that year. I'm so glad I found your site and had more time tio really explore your world.
    Many blessings to you both,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great art project for a seven year old. I want to make this and put it in my room to remind me of the happiness that I experience in summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We came across this on Pinterest and my daughter right away asked to do this for her 4H craft project! Super excited to see how it turns out, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fantastic. I am planning on using it as a winter solstice activity for some kids this coming week!

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails