Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Make your own Chive Blossom Vinegar!!! (part one)


Hello beautiful friends...so, I'm a chive blossom vinegar admirer.  I've seen a few blogs with lovely pictures of chives sitting in mason jars on kitchen ledges...and I mean, I just HAD to have some of my own!  Not to mention, what a fabulous and creative use of chive blossoms!  Here is a little tutorial on how to make your own lovely chive blossom vinegar! 

First go out and harvest your lovely chive blossoms...you could use scissors to do this, cut just a tiny bit of the stem under the flower...of course I did this first thing in the morning and was feeling a little "lazy" shall we say, and just used my fingers!!


Then when you get them inside, you are going to pull off the two dead petals that lie on the bottom of your blossom...you can see them in this picture, and you'll definately know what I mean as you are doing it yourself.


Fill your freshly steralized mason jars up with the blossoms...pack them in there!!!


While you are doing this, and because you are a true multi tasker, start boiling your vinegar.


Now get out a funnel and pour the vinegar into your mason jars...many of the books I read recommended using plastic over the mouth of the jar, because the vinegar will corrode the regular metal mason jar lids, I'm a little leery of plastic these days, so I used parchment paper over the top and then screwed on the mason jar ring...so far, so good.

Place your chive blossom vinegar in a sunny windowsill, and oh my!  Doesn't it look pretty???!!!!!


The vinegar turns the most lovely shade of pink!!!!  You are supposed to leave it in the windowsill for a week or two, but I did read that after two weeks it can get quite strong.  I'm going to check mine in a week, and if it's to my liking, strain it and bottle it, (into a lovely jar with a cork)!  Stay tuned for part two!!

Oh...and if you have made some vinegar of your own, leave a link in our comments section of your own chive creation!

Now get on out there and harvest some chives y'all!!!

Happy herb harvesting!!!
(now say it three times fast)!
xo maureen

*Don't forget about our Rainbow Gnome Giveaway giveaway...go check out the details and leave a comment...remember you can enter one time per day if you are a follower on our blog page or facebook, (or if you become a new friend), and once if you are not!  We need to find our gnomes a good home...
so go and enter!!!

20 comments:

  1. Oh that looks fabulous! What a beautiful shade of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll try this one, as I have a nice patch of chive blossoms close to our house. What type of vinegar did you use? Also - I think our rainbow garden would make a great home for those sweet rainbow gnomes.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...I once bought a jar of apple jelly that was the palest of pinks, with a single verbena leaf suspended in it. It was as pretty as it was tasty...this vinegar reminds me of that food-as-art concept!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rainbow Mama..I used President's Choice "the Natural Vinegar"...good for pickling, cooking and table use...it's just plain ol' white vinegar. And oh my...you should see it today...it has turned fushia...I LOVE it, (it is a vinegar that appeals to my inner girly girl)!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our chive flowers just opened this weekend. Love chives and use vinegar in cooking and cleaning, so I bet I'd like chive vinegar. I'm going to give it a go. Great colour.

    PS Love the rainbow gnomes.Please enter me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turns out so pretty! I wish we were done with renovating the inside of our house, so we could spend time gardening. I would have loved to try this with last year's chive flowers. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. brilliant! i hope i remember to try this when ours blossom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow,that is cool! I adore your gnomes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just tried this today, only without looking at your tutorial again. I forgot to boil the vinegar...do you think I should try again or just see what happens? (I had this weird feeling I was missing a step).

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's pink?!?!? Oh gotta go make some for E, she loves pink. I love vinegar. Win win!
    thanks. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maureen,
    We have lots of chives, and we have lots of vinegar that I clean the house with... but what exactly does one DO with chive vinegar? Lol, I hope you're not all laughing at me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your corroded old force apparatuses, paint jars nails, screws, bikes, instruments disposed of by your youngsters and maybe, your unused vehicle is the greatest hotspot for salvaged material. Aluminium Recycling You will have the option to make a benefit by selling your vehicle parts like batteries, radiator, blower, edges and numerous others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read that Post and got it fine and informative.สล็อตxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject.เว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,สล็อต เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.สล็อตวอลเลท

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails