Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's Party Week...How to Celebrate being All Grown Up, and a Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe!!!









Ruby made lovely placemarkers for our table...and after supper we had a special birthday visit from our friend Ritsuko and her pet duck!!!

So, after my day of joyous celebrating I wanted to give you a glimpse into our day.  It was my 34th Birthday, and just because I'm getting all grown up now, there is no need to not celebrate the day I was born!!
I am blessed to have friends who call and say, "hey, it's your birthday soon...what would you like to do?"  We make it a priority to do this for each other...we've gone out to dinner...made beautiful dinners at home...gone second hand shopping...did a yarn road trip...the possibilities are endless...the main thing is that we make it a priority to be available to help the people who mean the most to us, celebrate their special day!!  It's so much fun to get together with our girlfriends to celebrate!!  Last night we met for a crafty night at Shanti's...my dear friend Stephanie  brought along all the supplies we'd need to make Wee Folk dolls...If you want to make one of your own there is a little online tutorial here

Some of the wonderful ladies last night...

A rainbow of roving and wool felt!!

The MOST gorgeous carrot cake!

And the finished doll...I had to glue on her head and cap this morning!!!  I think there will be many more in our future!!

Here is the famous Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe...it's from the "Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Cookbook by the Moosewood Collective",  and is the cake that we whip up for everyone's birthday!  It's so easy to do...even the worst cook in your home can bake a successful cake using this recipe!!


Deep Vegan Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water, (or chilled brewed coffee)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Generously oil a 8 inch square or round baking pan and dust with a little sifted cocoa on the bottom.
Sift together the dry ingredients in a bowl.  In another bowl combine the wet, (except the vinegar).  Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix until well blended and smooth.
Add the vinegar and stir briefly, the baking soda will react with the vinegar right away, leaving pale swirls in the batter.  Without wasting any time pour the mixture into your pan.
Bake for 25-30 min.  When cake is cool, transfer it to a plate and ice.

Vegan Chocolate Coconut Glaze
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp coconut milk
1/2 tsp pure coconut extract

In double boiler, or heavy saucepan combine ingredients and melt.  Pour over cake!!

See...a simple cake recipe!  We aren't vegan, but this is really a wonderful cake and it is made many times throughout the year at our house!!

Now get on out there and do some celebrating!!!!
xo Maureen






12 comments:

  1. You won the playtime give away! Get in touch with your address & I'll send it off!

    http://turtlestostart.blogspot.com (thegremlina AT gmail DOT com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolls, cakes, wonderful friends, I love it! You are blessed, happy birthday dear Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add that our wonderful friend at
    http://www.wabisabiwanderings.blogspot.com
    has done a beautiful party post as well...
    and yes! the blessings are abundant in my life!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you win ANOTHER giveaway? Horseshoe up your butt...or a four leaf clover in your ear? haha! It was a lovely party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun time.
    Happy birthday week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday!!
    yummy vegan cake! We just made vegan cupcakes this morning to celebrate my mom's birthday (even though she's in NY)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maureen -- Nice to hear from you all the way from Eastern Ontario, Canada...

    Happy Happy Birthday!!! It's almost party week around here, too. My sweet child will be turning 7 on June 9. Hooray for geminis!

    I've been enjoying your blog and am happy you've been stopping by mine for a visit, too...

    MB

    P.S. I was going to e-mail but couldn't find a link on your blog or profile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us.สล็อตวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Attractive, post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have liked browsing your blog posts. After all, I will surely subscribe to your feed, and I hope you will write again soon!เกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can’t believe focusing long enough to research; much less write this kind of article. You’ve outdone yourself with this material without a doubt. It is one of the greatest contents.สล็อต เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails