Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Maureen's Famous Strawberry Preserve Recipe!!


It's strawberry season here in Ontario...this is one of my favourite times of the year, because it all starts with the strawberry...the other berries will soon be following, and I just can't wait!!   I've been making a conscious effort in the last few years, to put away as much food as possible, pick things in season,  and spend less at the grocery store!  With the strawberries I picked, we made 25 jars of jams and preserves, and managed to freeze 4 bags full.  I'm hoping to get out once more before the season is over...strawberries don't tend to last long in this house, especially in the dead of a Canadian winter!!


I want to share with you my recipe for Strawberry Preserves...this is my absolute favorite thing to do with berries!!!  There is nothing like cracking open a jar of these...I had a friend who told me she had a bath, and ate the whole jar with a spoon in the tub, (I consider that to be a great compliment)!!

To make the preserves you will need...

8 cups strawberries
2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
5 cups sugar
7 half pint jars, (250 ml size)

To start, clean and stem the strawberries, then cut them in half.  Put berries lemon juice and sugar into a large saucepan.


Stir, bringing the mixture to a boil.  Cook the mixture on med heat until the preserves thicken...this usually takes about 30-45 min.  Depends on how thick you want them to be.


Remove pan from the heat and skim off the foam that has formed...


Ladle into hot, steralized jars...seal the jars and put them into a water bath canner for 10 minutes.  Put the jars on a flat, dry surface and leave them alone for 24 hours.

Now avoid the temptation to eat them right away...save for fall and winter when you desperately need a strawberry fix!!

Trust me...you want to make these!! 
Happy pickin' and preservin'
xo maureen

10 comments:

  1. Gotta get on the jam making band wagon!!!!!

    Looks lovely!!!!

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen,
    Do you think this same recipe would work on blackberries? We are going to pick wild ones at our farm this weekend and I am looking for a good recipe....I have my jars, sugar, already. Could I use fresh lemon juice? I have some lemons I need to use. Thanks so much for sharing this simple recipe! I like to use recipes that REAL people use as their "go to" recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying it with blackberries right now.

      Delete
  3. Hi there, thank you for the kind comments you've left on my blog and I thought it was about time I took the time to stop by and return the favour!!
    I love homemade strawberry jam!!
    Its not quite strawberry season yet here in england but I'm hoping to get a good few jars made in a the next month or so.
    Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Maureen! this looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been busy with strawberry jam at our place too, but ours is of the freezer variety! This looks lovely too, though. Perhaps we'll have to do some more picking so I can try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs C...YUM Blackberries!!!!! I checked online and found a recipe that called for 8 cups blackberries and 7 cups sugar...the rest of the instructions were pretty much the same...make sure your berries are covered by enough liquid and process in a water bath for 10 min. I don't know why the lemon juice is essential for strawberry preserves and not other berries...would be curious to find out though!
    Happy preserving!
    maureen :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love strawberry jam. I never seem to make enough of it. Strawberries are low on pectin, so they need help from the lemons, otherwise the jam is runny. Also it tastes so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Maureen, thank you for leaving your burst of sunshine on my blog. I'm loving this recipe and look forward to trying it out with the luscious strawbs that are coming to market here.
    x Felicity

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails